The crispy ‘crust’ of roasted sweet potato adds a healthy twist to a delicious, calcium and protein-filled dish.
2 large orange sweet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
4 tsp olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
2 tsp olive oil
1 cup finely chopped broccoli
2 cups chopped fresh kale
1 cup (250ml) almond or soy milk
125g grated hard cheese
½ tsp ground nutmeg
Sea salt and pepper to taste
Preheat the oven to 200°C.
1. Coat a 23cm deep pie dish with 2 tsp of olive oil.
2. Cover the base and sides of the dish with the potato; overlap the slices enough to allow for shrinkage when baked. Brush with 2tsp olive oil and bake for 15 minutes.
3. While the base is cooking, heat 2 tsp oil in a large frying pan and sauté onions and garlic for a few minutes, add broccoli and stir-fry for 3 mins, lastly, add kale and cook until just wilted.
4. Spread vegetable mixture on the baked sweet potato base. Sprinkle on the cheese.
5. Whisk together the eggs, milk, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Pour over the vegetable/ cheese mixture.
6. Lower heat to 190°C and bake uncovered for about 30 minutes, until puffed and golden. Sit in the dish for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.